The course will link a system-oriented view of protein-protein interactions with the molecular principles of these interactions and their implications in human disease. Emphasis will include currently emerging fundamental concepts as well as cutting-edge methods that allow interrogation of biological systems at different scales: from that of single molecules to complex networks. The course will integrate a range of experimental approaches with a more global understanding of the many interactions that proteins can engage in.
In addition to PhD students, selected postdoctoral workers in related fields can use it as a stimulus to change their direction of research.
The Spetsai experience
Our Spetsai courses are well known for influencing young people’s careers by networking young scientists and by closely interfacing between lecturers and students.
Each lecturer provides both a general outline and a specialized lecture on their research area.
Beside state-of-the-art lectures by renowned scientists, our Spetsai course provides close and constructive interactions between participants and lectures:
- daily discussion groups and tutorials with small student-lecturer ratios
- shared meals at the hotel and restaurant dinners in small student-lecturer groups
- an extended poster session with organized feedback for each poster
- oral presentations by participants about fictitious but realistic research project proposals
- ice-breaker activities including “speed research dating”
- opportunities to suggest discussion topics on scientific careers, science and society etc.
- NEW: workshops involving actors to help participants improve presentation skills and explore different facets of their activities as scientists
Spetsai is easily accessed from Athens via our organized transport programme. However, as a relatively isolated and car-free island, Spetsai provides an ideal framework for optimal interactions between students and teachers and among students themselves.